Thursday, March 5, 2009

Victorious

Last week I had the privilege of speaking at our Nav Night. It's something I've wanted to do for a long time, but could never quite muster the courage to do it....a group of 200 is a bit different than a group of 30! I figured enough is enough...I needed to step out! God was so faithful by not only filling me an amazing peace, but by also opening the ears of the students to hear His truth.
I started out by showing this video by Francis Chan. I began by sharing reasons why I believe we cling to that balance beam (gotta watch the video to figure out what I'm talking about!). I believe it's fear of failure, fear of past mistakes, fear of people (fearing them more than we fear God) and finally I believe we don't rely on the power of the Holy Spirit.

I heard a sermon while I was in Pittsburgh over Christmas. It got me thinking about how so many Christians live as if they need to do their faith on their own, they don't truly rely on the gift of the Holy Spirit. And by "they", I guess I mean me! I try harder and harder and then fail and wonder why. And I began to realize something. Ephesians 1:13 says that we each have the Holy Spirit in us once we believe. And John 16:13 talks about how the Holy Spirit leads us into all truth. And Romans 8:11 says the same Spirit that rose Christ from the dead lives in us. So, if we believe, we have the power of the Holy Spirit in us. And not just any power, it's the power that rose Christ from the dead. Read that last sentence again...it's powerful. It's not about more determination, it's about relying on the power of Christ that has already overcome everything. I love Chris Tomlin's song "I Will Rise". It says "Jesus has overcome and the grave is overwhelmed, the victory is won, he is risen from the dead". How amazing. We have victory because Christ was victorious. We are more than conquerors because Christ conquered death.

So, do we live as though we need more determination or do we live in the truth knowing that the power of Christ is in us that will enable us to be victorious in our every day life?

It's a daily thing for me. A daily reminder that I need Christ that day. A daily reminder that I need him in order to have victory in my day. I'm nothing without him, it's not about me. Takes me back to my theme verse, Habakkuk 3:19 - HIS strength enables me to go on the heights.

I ended the evening with the song "Stronger" by Hillsong. It's one of my new faves. We don't need to break our sin patterns or conquer our fears on our own. Believe that the One who is STRONGER has given us everything we need, through his incomparable power, for life and godliness.

No comments: