Sunday, May 25, 2008

Burlington or Bust!

Tomorrow morning I’ll be hittin the road for Vermont! I think I’ve completely overpacked…my car is stuffed! I’ll be up there working with The Navigators for 9 weeks…helping to staff a summer training program – Green Mountain Summer. Forty-six college students from around the country will be a part of GMS (29 of which are from our ministry at Penn State!). The purpose of this summer program is to give the students an opportunity to live in community (we’ll be living in a dorm for the summer…yep, I said WE!), give them an opportunity to grow exponentially in their relationship with Jesus and to give them an opportunity to work in the community of Burlington and minister to their co-workers. I’ll be giving more specifics of the program in later posts…so stay tuned!

I’m so excited to be experiencing something new. While I’m excited, I don’t know what to expect. What will the town be like? What will GMS be like? What will my role look like (I'm the women's director...I'll be overseeing 24 women)? While I don’t fully know what to expect in terms of all of the details, I do expect one thing…for God to move. A group of 50 people are taking their summer to get to know Jesus in a deeper way. That’s a recipe for something huge to happen. People will learn to love one another and serve one another. It won’t be easy all the time, but in the end we will see something bigger than we could have asked or imagined. I can't wait to see what God has in store!

I’d be fooling myself if I thought that the transformation would only happen in the lives of the students. I know I will be challenged, stretched and will have to depend on Jesus in many ways. I can’t live out of my flesh or out of my fears…I need to move in strength, confidence and truth.

Our theme verse for the summer is Psalm 86:11 – “Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an UNDIVIDED heart, that I may fear your name."

Pray for undivided hearts this summer!

2 comments:

Maryn Forney said...

loooove this blog ; ) yayyy!

SueBobb said...

Hope you made it safely, Megs!! Excited to hear details about how moving in and planning is going (subtle hint: blog more!!). Miss you lots!